LOS ANGELES, April 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Preferred Bank (Nasdaq:PFBC), an independent commercial bank focusing on the Chinese-American and diversified California mainstream market, today reported preliminary results for the quarter ended March 31, 2013. Preferred Bank ("the Bank") reported net income of $4.0 million or $0.30 per diluted share for the first quarter of 2013. This compares to net income of $21.7 million or $1.62 per diluted share for the first quarter of 2012 and compares to net income of $4.9 million or $0.37 per diluted share for the fourth quarter of 2012. Net income for the first quarter of 2012 was aided by the $19.8 million reversal of the Bank's valuation allowance on its deferred tax asset ("DTA") and earnings for the fourth quarter of 2012 were aided by a small reversal of certain tax items which increased net income by $416,000 for that quarter. Pre-tax income on a year over year basis increased from $3.0 million in the first quarter of 2012 to $6.7 million in the first quarter of 2013, an increase of 126%. Pre-tax income on a sequential quarter basis increased by $2.2 million or 48.5%.
- Highlights from the first quarter of 2013 include:
- Linked quarter loan growth of $41.1 million or 3.6%
- OREO declined by $8.4 million or 29.7% from December 31, 2012
- Nonperforming loans excluding loans held for sale declined by $2.4 million or 12.6% from December 31, 2012
- Net interest margin expanded from 3.91% to 4.03% linked quarter
- Linked quarter deposit growth of $26.5 million or 2.0%
Li Yu, Chairman and CEO commented, "We are very pleased to report that for the first quarter of 2013, the Bank earned $4.0 million or $0.30 per diluted share, a marked improvement from the same quarter last year after stripping out the DTA allowance reversal in that period. Operating results were better than we previously expected."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts