Credit quality continued to improve, with first-quarter net loan charge-offs of $2.517 billion, declining from $3.104 billion the previous quarter and $4.056 billion in the first quarter of 2012. The first-quarter annualized ratio of net charge-offs -- excluding impaired purchased loans, which had previously been written down -- to average loans was a decent 1.14%, improving from 1.40% the previous quarter and 1.80% a year earlier.
KBW analyst Christopher Mutascio rates Bank of America a "buy," with a price target of $13.50, and said in a note to clients that "total expenses increased to $18.15 billion versus our expectations for a decline to $17.10 billion. Driving the increase in expenses were seasonally higher personnel expenses of $9.9 billion versus $8.3 billion last quarter, partially offsetting this was a decline in other expenses to $3.98 billion from $5.37 billion last quarter."
"We expect that the noise in expenses this quarter will lead shares weaker on the day as investors look to see meaningful expense reductions in-line with prior company guidance," Mutascio wrote. He added, "The company is still on track to deliver our 4Q13 run-rate of below $16 billion in expenses."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV