MEDIA ADVISORY, April 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Precious Metals and Gold stocks fell sharply this week as concerns over Chinese growth ignited a market sell-off and continued a trend in lower gold and commodity prices. The Philadelphia Gold and Silver Index fell 19.4% for the week ended April 16, 2013. The weakness in commodities also led to a market-wide stock sell-off in the U.S. Monday, before a partial rebound Tuesday. The NASDAQ Composite Index (COMP) fell by 2.4% Monday but ended the week up 0.8%.
"The release of Chinese GDP data hurt commodity stocks this week, including industrial and precious metals. Gold was also under pressure from a lack of inflation and concerns over central bank gold sales. Crude has also been for sale due to supply concerns," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes.
TOP WEEKLY INDEX MOVERS (+/-)
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEXES:||4/16/13|
|NASDAQ BIOTECHNOLOGY INDEX (NBI)||+4.4%|
|PHLX OIL SERVICE SECTOR INDEX (OSX)||-2.7%|
|PHLX HOUSING INDEX (HGX)||-2.5%|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU)||-2.5%|
|NASDAQ INTERNET INDEX (QNET)||+2.0%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEXES:||4/16/13|
|PHLX GOLD/SILVER INDX (XAU)||-19.4%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY SILVER INDEX ER (NQCISIER)||-15.3%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY PRECIOUS METALS INDEX ER (NQCIPMER)||-14.3%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY GOLD INDEX ER (NQCIGCER)||-12.6%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CRUDE OIL INDEX ER (NQCICLER)||-5.8%|
- The Department of Energy is expected to report Crude Oil Inventories at 10:30 am on April 17 th. The NASDAQ Commodity Crude Oil Index (NQCICLER) fell 5.8% last week and traders will be looking at supply levels.
- The NASDAQ NATURAL GAS INDEX (NQCINGER) was up 3.2% last week and has been rallying in recent months as supplies tightened during colder than normal weather.
- Looking forward to tomorrow, Initial Jobless Claims and the Conference Board's index of Leading Indicators will be released. A disappointment with either of these releases would draw attention to defensive stocks. The Philadelphia Utility Index (UTY) rose 1.2% last week.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 email@example.com Chauntez Wilson Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5415 firstname.lastname@example.org Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV