But what the growth mutual funds want is growth that can't be pinned down and isn't even crimped by European formulations, which had been the worry for, say, Celgene not that long ago. And these four horsemen have it.
Perhaps the best way to think about this is to recognize that these stocks are the anti-gold. Anything that could drive up gold is bad for biotech. Anything that can drive it down is good. So next time you see gold swoon and take down the whole market, we now know the total handbook for the moment: Buy more deep-in-the-money calls on Biogen Idec, Gilead Sciences, Celgene and Regeneron.
These four stocks remain the go-to stocks on any geopolitical/terror weakness in this market.
Random musings: You can see these biotech animal spirits at work on a smaller scale in Acorda Therapeutics (ACOR), which reported a potential, just a potential, breakthrough in stroke treatment, where some of the losses from a stroke might be able to be rolled back. That stock, ACOR, was up $4 today after being up almost $4 yesterday on the breakthrough. Frankly, the news is so breathtaking, I still don't think the move is over yet.Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, is long JNJ.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV