Perhaps the most far-reaching turnaround effort is this well-known auto maker, who even after several years removed from bankruptcy, still isn't in peak form. To be sure, GM's (GM) European operations are a mess (as is the case with any European auto maker not based in Germany), and management is working quickly to stop the bleeding and shore up the flagging Opel brand.
Despite that challenge, GM is making considerable progress elsewhere, with a strong presence in China, the rest of Asia and Latin America.Here at home, high-profile missteps with the Chevy Volt and volume leader Chevy Malibu gave the impression that the car maker doesn't yet understand what consumers want. Still, positive signs are emerging, including a newly resurgent Cadillac division, a critically acclaimed new Corvette and a major revamp of full-size pickup trucks, which tend to carry outsized profits. Investors will only be truly impressed once GM can boost its tepid 6% EBITDA margins, which are well below rival Ford's (F) 9% EBITDA margins. Still, GM has already made considerable progress with its post-bankruptcy turnaround efforts, and expectations of a 25% jump in 2014 EPS (to around $4.25) are a sign of even better days ahead. To see these turnarounds in action, visit the 4 Turnaround Stocks Poised for Better Days Ahead portfolio. At the time of publication, author had no positions in stocks mentioned.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV