NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This week's earnings reports are being evaluated under the clouds of market volatility caused by the crash of Comex gold and the wake of the bombs at the Boston Marathon on Monday. Unexpected waves of volatility are reasons why traders and investors need to know the value levels and risky levels at which to buy-and-trade stocks as share prices pop or drop in reaction to expected or unexpected quarterly results.
On Monday I wrote, Market Focus Shifts to First-Quarter Earnings and the earning reports pre-market on Tuesday did not disappoint. The reports that came out after the close saw mixed reactions.
Goldman Sachs (GS) ($144.10 vs. $149.12 at Friday's close) beat EPS estimates by 44 cents and opened higher on Tuesday, but the hold rated stock could not sustain gains trading as low as $142.14 as this week's pivot at $144.59 became a magnet. The stock failed to hold its 50-day simple moving average at $150.10 on Monday.
Coca Cola (KO) ($42.37 vs. $41.08 at Friday's close) beat EPS estimates by a penny and this buy rated Dow component opened higher and tested my semiannual risky level at $42.26 trading as high as $42.48 on Tuesday. The all time high is $44.47 set in July 1998.
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) ($83.44 vs. $82.74 at Friday's close) beat EPS estimates by three cents and this hold rated Dow component traded to a new all-time high at $83.54 versus this week's risky level at $83.64.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV