Toyota and Lexus sell 19 hybrid models and one plug-in hybrid in 80 countries and regions around the world. Twelve of the models are available in the United States, including seven from Toyota and five from Lexus. They are Prius Liftback, Prius v, Prius c, Prius Plug-in, Camry Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid, Lexus CT200h, ES300h, GS450h, LS600h and RX450h.
Of the 12 U.S. models, Camry Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid and RX450h are manufactured in North America with a fourth model, Highlander Hybrid, planned.
Between now and the end of 2015, Toyota will introduce 18 new hybrid models and expects global sales of its hybrids to be at least one million units a year in the same period. TMS forecasts that about one-third of those will be sold in the United States.
"The first Prius was a surprising success and we never imagined the market would become as vast as it has for the hybrid powertrain," said Bob Carter, TMS senior vice president of automotive operations.Toyota's hybrid vehicle sales in the United States began in July 2000 with the first-generation Prius and it provided consumers excellent fuel economy and reduced emissions using a precursor to Toyota's advanced Hybrid Synergy Drive System. The high-technology nature and environmental benefits offered by this early Prius helped it appeal to a small but passionate following of early adopters. With just 5,562 sold in the first six months, the Prius would eventually find favor with consumers helping it become the recognized symbol of hybrid technology. As a result, it has inspired the development of hybrid vehicles by competitors, with more than 50 models on the market today. The first Prius has evolved into a modern family of vehicles, while leading to the development of a wide range of additional Toyota and Lexus hybrid models.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV