Data from Best Stocks Now App
The Lake Forest, Ill., large-cap company distributes more than 900,000 tools, lighting, plumbing and other maintenance products through 368 branches and 15 distribution centers.
I can hardly wait until my Grainger catalog arrives in the mail every year. I especially like the plumbing-fixture pictures and accompanying descriptions. Now this is compelling reading!As an investor, however, I really don't care how exciting the company's wordy catalog is. I care more about making money in the stock. Here are the performance numbers for the company over the years: Data from Best Stocks Now App As you can see, the stock has outpaced the S&P 500 by a wide margin over the last three, five and 10 years. Also note that the stock was only down 8.2% in 2008, while the market was down 38.5%. I guess folks still need widgets for "this and that," despite a financial crisis.
When I compare the performance of Grainger against the other 3,300 stocks that I track, it earns a performance grade of "A-". Not bad for a widget distributor. I got back into the stock a few months ago after being out of it for about one year. It does not look like I missed much as the stock has underperformed the market over the last 12 months for a change. I got back into the stock when it broke through resistance about two months ago. In addition to a stock that has outperformed the market over the years, I also like a healthy stock chart. I don't like buying stocks in downtrends. I don't especially care for sideways trends and I get really nervous about extended charts that are beginning to roll over. I like to buy good stocks like Grainger when they are breaking out. The breakouts obviously don't always follow through, but I feel that the probabilities are in my favor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV