6 Things to Consider Before Co-Signing a Mortgage
However, if you can provide a 12-month history of someone else making a payment on an obligation you co-signed for, most of the time the obligation can be omitted, which would improve borrowing ability.
It means you are literally applying for credit by virtue of supplying income, credit worthiness, payment liabilities and assets for the purposes of procuring credit (i.e. a mortgage). People co-sign for other people to help secure mortgage loan financing, not knowing the full ramifications of what co-signing does for the long-term prospects of obtaining credit in the future.
And a final mortgage tip: Two alternatives to co-signing that substantially help someone else include providing gift funds for a down payment and/or paying off someone else's debt -- both of which improve borrowing ability as loans are made against income.
- Can You Really Get Your Credit Score for Free?
- The First Thing to Do Before Buying a Home
- 19 Confusing Mortgage Terms Deciphered
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV