The social network is incorporating a popular feature from its recently released Facebook Home app, called Chat heads. Chat heads allow you to chat with your friends while you're checking your News Feed, the company announced. The Chat heads feature can be moved all around the phone with the swipe of a finger, and tapped to reply. This was one of the more popular features of Facebook Home, something which I called a " Google (GOOG) Killer," when Facebook recently ramped up its mobile offerings.
With Facebook Home, the company is attempting to solve the problem of slowing engagement. It has put the social network right in front of hundreds of millions of Android users, as the company seeks to boost engagement. According to developers on the project, engagement went up drastically when compared to using just the mobile apps.
By bringing part of this to iOS, Facebook is attempting to increase its engagement on both of the world's leading mobile operating systems.As part of the update, Facebook is also bringing stickers to the app, which are akin to various smiley faces seen on iMessage or other messaging platforms. The company is also showing off the new and improved News Feed, which it unveiled last month. Facebook noted that users would be able to really take advantage of the changes on the iPad, where stories will appear bigger and brighter. The updated Facebook iOS app will be available later today. Shares of Facebook were up 1.7% to $26.97, while Apple was higher by 1.16% to $424.72. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV