NEWPORT NEWS, Va., April 16, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) President and CEO Mike Petters was the keynote speaker at the 11 th annual Breakfast to Benefit the Children of Downtown Hampton Child Development Center. The event, held at the Hampton Roads Convention Center, is designed to educate guests about the Child Development Center and to raise funds for its operations.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=18151
The Downtown Hampton Child Development Center is a non-profit preschool that serves 200 children between the ages of 6 weeks and 5 years. The school's mission is to nurture young children by providing affordable, quality preschool programs that develop the "whole child" and foster school readiness. The center offers the Peninsula's only sliding-scale tuition rate, based on family income, with a focus on children from at-risk and underserved populations, including children with special needs."I personally believe that education is one area that we as a nation have to get right, or a lot of other issues will become inconsequential," Petters said in his remarks. "I believe it will be the thing that drives the country forward for the next several decades." Petters continued, "If you ask what's different about America than other countries in terms of education, what you will find is that countries that are ahead of us have formal preschool programs. It's almost that simple." Petters pointed out that in the U.S. children start kindergarten programs when they're about 5 years old, whereas in other nations children begin school when they turn 3 or 4.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV