BALTIMORE, April 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Several hundred coaches from area middle and high schools, colleges and universities, and community leagues met on Tuesday ( April 16) to draft a new game plan to learn how to develop, mentor and lead young men and help build their character.
The Verizon Foundation and A CALL TO MEN – a leading national violence prevention organization – brought the second installment of their national training series, entitled A Call To Coaches: Your Voice Counts, to Baltimore. This half-day, interactive seminar was designed to equip coaches and community leaders with resources to prevent abusive behaviors by promoting respect, non-violence and healthy relationships. The first training session was held recently in North Carolina, drawing more than 400 coaches and community leaders who pledged to use their power of authority and leadership to encourage boys and young men to have a healthy and respectful manhood.
The Baltimore session brought together several members of the NFL community and domestic violence prevention advocates, including Chris Canty, Baltimore Ravens defensive lineman; Willis Whalen, NFL Players Association manager of player affairs and development; CBS Sportscaster James Brown; Joe Ehrmann, president of Coach For America and former Baltimore Colt; and led by Tony Porter and Ted Bunch, co-founders of A CALL TO MEN.
"A healthy relationship begins with respect," said Bunch. "Breaking down traditional stereotypes about manhood is essential, and that begins in the locker room. For instance, it's not cool to demean a teammate by saying he throws like a girl. When a coach takes the lead and stops that kind of language, men and young men listen."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV