You don't have to be an expert technical analyst to figure out what's going on in shares of Visa (V) -- a quick look at the chart will do.
Visa is currently forming an uptrending channel, a trading range that's bounded by a trendline resistance and trendline support level. Those support and resistance levels give us a high probability range for V to trade within. And as you might expect, the ideal time to be a buyer is on a bounce off of support.
When you're looking to buy a stock within a trend channel, buying after a bounce off of support makes sense for two big reasons: It's the spot where shares have the furthest to move up before they hit resistance, and it's the spot where the risk is the least (because shares have the least room to move lower before you know you're wrong). Visa is testing trend line support this morning, but a move higher looks likely from here -- there's considerable demand along that trend line. I'd look to build a position if strength stays in the market by this afternoon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV