Appliance-maker Whirlpool (WHR) has managed to stay arm's-length ahead of the S&P's already impressive climb this year, up more than 11% since the first trading session in January. That's even after yesterday's 5% decline in the $9 billion dishwasher and dryer giant. Now shares look well-positioned to move even higher in April.
Whirlpool is currently forming an ascending triangle, a technical setup that's formed by horizontal resistance above shares (in this case at $120) and uptrending support below shares. Essentially, as WHR bounces in between those two technical levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above that $120 mark. When that breakout happens, traders have another buy signal in this stock.It's critical to wait for resistance to get taken out before jumping into a trade in WHR -- $120 has acted as a ceiling on the last three attempts that buyers have made to move higher. When the breakout happens, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop at the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV