BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- A confluence of events shoved the S&P 500 down 2.3% by yesterday's close, as stocks reacted to reprehensible terror attacks at the Boston Marathon just an hour before the market's close. But if stock prices are a sentiment gauge for American sentiment, then people are feeling more confident about the situation this morning.
Make no mistake, yesterday's selling -- the biggest down day since November -- didn't come close to derailing this rally in the S&P.
Throughout it all, consumer stocks have been leading the pack in terms of strength. Consumer-driven names, particularly staples, have been muscling ahead of the broad market in 2013, up more than double vs. the big indices. If this morning's rebound is any indication, those consumer stocks are retaining that strength into the second quarter of the year.That's why we're taking a technical look at five consumer-driven names ready to break out today. >>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy After Last Week's Rally For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. So, without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now. >>5 Stocks Poised to Pop on Bullish Earnings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV