NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- For several years, investors bought Apple (AAPL) shares for the growth prospect while I liked the numbers from a value point of view. Many rightly justified the purchases with explanations of removing the cash to calculate the true price to earnings ratio (rarely a smart idea without discounting the cash.)
During the last six months, I witnessed a shift from a growth thesis to a more investment thesis. I found it fascinating, because the more I read that Apple was a great value play, the more I started to think of it as a growth stock. It's almost as if many of the long bias followers and I are 180 degrees out of phase.
Often the gurus in the short bias group will point out that they think Apple faces shrinking margins and that Google's (GOOG) Android based phones are gaining market share. To be fair, Apple may actually come under margin pressure, although last quarter is not a good example of it.Last quarter, Apple introduced several new products, and as someone who spent years manufacturing and importing products, I know the first quarter or two are the toughest ones from a profit perspective. If Apple launched as many products as they did without a margin hit, they unquestionably would be able to walk on water. Apple can't walk on water, but then again, they don't need to. Apple doesn't have a margin problem and if margins do shrink they still don't probably have a margin problem. Where else are you going to get a large tech company with Apple's margins? I will save you the trouble; you're not going to find another company with the wide margins Apple enjoys.
AAPL Profit Margin TTM data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV