Per the agreement, Icahn won't be able to own more than 10% of Dell's shares. He will be able to engage with other Dell shareholders, although he will be prevented from signing agreements with other shareholders that would result in a collective ownership of more than 15% of shares.
Icahn opposes a $24.4 billion proposal by founder Michael Dell and private-equity firm Silver Lake Partners to take the company private. Icahn and private-equity company Blackstone have made alternative offers designed to keep part of the company public.
Icahn owns a $1 billion stake in Dell.
Goldman Sachs (GS) reported quarterly earnings that beat expectations on higher revenue in its investment banking division. The bank reported a first-quarter profit of $2.26 billion, or $4.29 per share, on $10.1 billion of revenue. That's up from $2.07 billion, or $3.92 per share, in the same quarter a year ago. Analysts had expected earnings of $3.88 per share. . The company's investment banking revenue rose 36% to $1.57 billion on high activity in commercial mortgages and leveraged finance. Goldman's investment bank also underwrote more stock and bond offerings. Its sale of some of its stake in the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China aided revenue from investing and lending as well. CEO Lloyd Blankfein called the results "generally solid." But the bank warned that revenue could slow in the current quarter due to a lower transaction backlog.
The Census Bureau reported that housing starts jumped in March at a seasonally adjusted rate of 1.036 million. That's the biggest rise since June 2008. The climb was driven by growth in apartment construction and continued strength in the housing market. Single-family housing starts were running at a 619,000 rate, according to the report. February's single-family starts were revised up to a 650,000 annual rate from 618,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV