Updated from 9:50 a.m. EST to provide analyst comments regarding second quarter results in the tenth paragraph.
Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster cut his price target on Apple to $688 from $767, citing worries that a lower-cost iPhone could cannibalize sales as much as 30%.
"Factoring in 30% cannibalization, gross margin goes to 36.6% in CY14 vs. 38.6% in Dec-12," Munster noted in his report on Tuesday. A lower-cost iPhone could have gross margins as low as 30%, versus 55% for the version of the iPhone Apple currently sells.Munster also cut his iPhone sales estimates for 2013, 2014 and 2015, by 10%, 15%, and 22%, respectively. He now expects Apple to sell 160.1 million, 223.5 million, and 277 million iPhones in those calendar years. There's been concern that smartphones have become a mature market, and Apple is looking to do what it can to grow its primary revenue driver. In the past, Apple has said it would not make a crappy product, so a lower-cost iPhone would have to live up to Apple's high standards of product design. "The only thing we'll never do is make a crappy product," CEO Tim Cook said at a Goldman Sachs conference in February. "We're going to make a great product. And so that's the only religion that we have is we must do something great, something bold, something ambitious." Munster said he expects that a lower-cost iPhone would cost $300, versus his estimates of an average selling price (ASP) of $620, thus negatively impacting earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV