DETROIT, April 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The General Motors Foundation and Cadillac will help pave the way from Motown to Manhattan for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra this May as it prepares to perform at Carnegie Hall for the first time in 17 years.
The GM Foundation provided a $350,000 grant to the DSO for music education initiatives, including its involvement in the prestigious Spring for Music festival that showcases five symphony orchestras from across North America. The DSO is the first orchestra invited to perform two programs during the event.
In addition to funding from the GM Foundation, Cadillac will transport the musicians and a number of special guests during the week-long festival.
"We are celebrating this trip to Carnegie Hall as a symbol of Detroit's resilience and withstanding excellence," said Anne Parsons, DSO president and CEO. "We are thrilled that the General Motors Foundation and Cadillac will be by our side as a partner with Leonard Slatkin and the DSO under the spotlight of this important festival."The GM Foundation has a long-standing history of supporting the DSO and community arts programs. Over the past decade, the Foundation has donated nearly $1.5 million to the DSO to help bring world-class music to the Detroit community and support the musicians who share a passion for the city. The Foundation's support of Detroit-based nonprofits and cultural institutions over the past decade totals nearly $21.5 million. " Detroit's revitalization can be seen in the strength of the DSO, which has long been a beacon and cultural pillar within the city's arts community," said GM North America President Mark Reuss, vice chairman of the GM Foundation. "Together with Cadillac, we look forward to the DSO's triumphant return to Carnegie Hall."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV