DALLAS, April 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the first lead-acid battery management gas gauge integrated circuit with TI's proprietary Impedance Track™ capacity measurement technology. The bq34z110 gas gauge IC, which comes in a small 14-pin package, is the industry's only scalable power management device to support multi-cell lead-acid battery packs with battery voltages of 4 V, 12 V, 24 V, 48 V and higher. The highly accurate, simple-to-use gauge supports batteries used in mobile and stationary applications like medical instruments, wireless base stations and telecom shelters, e-bikes, inverters and uninterruptible power supplies (UPS). For samples visit: www.ti.com/bq34z110-pr.
95-percent accurate monitoring for lead acid
Lead-acid batteries typically behave better than lithium chemistries in environments with wide temperature ranges. However, today's lead-acid battery designs do not accurately measure and report current battery capacity, which often frustrates the end user, and could mean adding more batteries to keep the system adequately charged. The new bq34z110 gauge with Impedance Track technology constantly informs a user about the battery's state-of-health and state-of-charge and maintains up to a 95-percent accurate capacity measurement for the entire life of the battery. This information also prevents premature shutdown, increasing the longevity of the battery and end-equipment.
Key features and benefits of the bq34z110:
- Industry's first multi-cell scalable battery gauge to support a wide range of lead acid batteries (4 V to 64 V), including large capacity batteries (1 Ahr to 65 Ahr and higher) and high-current applications (0 A to 32 A and higher).
- 95-percent accurate battery capacity measurement with TI's Impedance Track proprietary algorithm, which uses current, voltage measurements, temperature and battery characteristics to determine battery state-of-charge, state-of-health and capacity.
- Easy setup configuration with application notes, user guide and bq34z110EVM evaluation module.
- Review TI's entire battery management portfolio for industrial applications: www.ti.com/batteryindustrial-pr.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Battery Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/batteryforum-pr.
- Download TI's Battery Management Solutions Guide: www.ti.com/bmsguide-pr.