Also of note will be the search deal with Microsoft (MSFT). In the past, Mayer has said the deal could be improved, as Yahoo! tries to squeeze out some new growth from this initiative. Microsoft had been guaranteeing Yahoo! around $100 million in search revenue per year to host Yahoo!'s results, but Pivotal Research Group analyst Brian Wieser is expecting to see some growth in the future from this deal.
"While we aren't assuming Google-like levels of growth at any point, our model incorporates longer-term growth in the mid-single digits, reflecting that we are somewhat comfortable with the notion that Yahoo's search initiatives will drive some growth on an ongoing basis in the near to mid-term..." Wieser wrote in his report.
Investors will be keen to hear any updates on Yahoo!'s Asian assets, namely Alibaba and Yahoo! Japan, which have been largely valuable for the run in Yahoo!'s shares over the past six months. Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Youssef Squali notes that the 24% stake in Alibaba and 35% stake in Yahoo! Japan "should continue to prop up the shares," as investors continue to look for a turn around in core Yahoo!.
The stakes in Alibaba and Yahoo! Japan have been long discussed as the most valuable part of Yahoo, but if Mayer can continue to change the perception that core Yahoo! is a relevant player in the Internet space again, she will have proven that she's worth every penny of her salary, and the board of directors made the right decision.-- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV