- Deficit spending is unsustainable. Economist Paul Krugman has taken Stockman to task for complaining about deficits, since Stockman oversaw huge deficit increases as Reagan's budget director. Still, Stockman is entitled to change his mind about deficits, and more to the point, the wisdom of deficit spending is really a matter of circumstances. Modest deficits to goose a sluggish economy can be useful. What every President except Clinton has failed to do in the last 40 years is bring the budget back into surplus during economic expansions. As a result, deficits have gotten steadily larger over time, and the accumulated debt total has continued to build.
- A "warfare state" is being built on top of a welfare state. One criticism of social programs is that they create continuing obligations which become increasingly hard to meet, and military spending takes on a similar momentum. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were instrumental in setting the latest cycle of deficit increases in motion, and with potential nuclear threats from Iran and North Korea, it will be hard to cut back on defense now -- unless more people start to view the deficit itself as a national defense concern.
- Fed policies have created an asset bubble. By lowering interest rates on everything from savings accounts to long bonds, the Fed has created an investment climate in which stocks seem like the only worthwhile game in town. With CD, savings, and money market rates losing ground to inflation, investors are more likely to turn to riskier alternatives in search of higher returns. As a result, stock prices have soared, but could the market sustain these levels without low interest rates? Until the Fed's stimulative policies generate enough earnings growth to support today's stock valuations, the fast-rising market will look more and more like a bubble.
Former US Budget Director Predicts Economic Doom
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts