Consumers Choose A Different Type Of Overspending
However, there is a considerable difference in overdraft fees between institutions. The Moebs study found median fees varied by nearly $15.
- Bank: $30
- Credit union: $27
- Payday lender: $16
In addition, larger banks and credit unions tend to have higher fees. For example, banks with more than $25 billion in assets had median overdraft fees of $35. Those with assets of less than $100 million had median fees of $25.
Striking a financial balance
It appears consumers are trying hard to get their finances in order. While the low bank card delinquency rate is good news, rising overdraft fees may signal that financial pressure in building elsewhere for consumers.
To keep their financial house in order, bank customers can opt to build a healthy savings account for covering emergencies, and shop around for an institution that offers the best bank rates and the lowest overdraft fees. Doing so may help avoid some of the situations that lead to credit card delinquencies and checking overdrafts in the first place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV