Price enters into the equation as well. When you subscribe to HBO, you make a far more expensive commitment than when you urinate $8 per month away for Netflix. Most of us spend more than that at Starbucks over two to three days.
But beyond tangible arguments, let's consider the "intangible quality of the brand." Whatever the hell that means.
It took HBO decades to build its brand. Remember, it didn't even become a 24-hour network until the end of 1981. For nine years, it was on-the-air for nine hours a day. Do I need to list the number of original programs -- many wildly successful -- HBO has aired over the years?
I don't. But I will. We all love nostalgia. By offering some, I hope to bring a smile to a few faces during a time of national mourning and anxiety.Not Necessarily The News. 1st & Ten. Tales From The Crypt. Def Comedy Jam. Arliss. Oz. Sex And The City. The Sopranos. Six Feet Under. The Wire. Do I really need to go on? Have I proved my point? Netflix absolutely cannot hold HBO's jockstrap. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV