Price enters into the equation as well. When you subscribe to HBO, you make a far more expensive commitment than when you urinate $8 per month away for Netflix. Most of us spend more than that at Starbucks over two to three days.
But beyond tangible arguments, let's consider the "intangible quality of the brand." Whatever the hell that means.
It took HBO decades to build its brand. Remember, it didn't even become a 24-hour network until the end of 1981. For nine years, it was on-the-air for nine hours a day. Do I need to list the number of original programs -- many wildly successful -- HBO has aired over the years?
I don't. But I will. We all love nostalgia. By offering some, I hope to bring a smile to a few faces during a time of national mourning and anxiety.Not Necessarily The News. 1st & Ten. Tales From The Crypt. Def Comedy Jam. Arliss. Oz. Sex And The City. The Sopranos. Six Feet Under. The Wire. Do I really need to go on? Have I proved my point? Netflix absolutely cannot hold HBO's jockstrap. Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV