For many shorts that caught this move, it has been quite a ride. For the short-term trader or investor, there may still be an opportunity to play the short side. For those who "See the forest through the trees," however, this may prove to be nothing more than an opportunity to buy gold bullion at lower price levels.
One must only look at a quarterly chart or yearly chart to see that the uptrend in gold remains intact on the larger timeframes. In addition, many of the global issues that could be bullish for gold are still here and would not appear to be going away anytime soon.The question now is, where will gold prices stop?
It is hard to tell since the market has sliced through so many potential support levels like a knife through warm butter. The fact is the market will stabilize when there is no one left to sell.
When the bearishness has reached an extreme, perhaps a selling climax to $1,300 or lower is in store. We shall see. Until we see a selling climax, additional downside for gold prices is likely.Please visit our Web site for updates on the gold market and useful information for purchasing the physical metal. Follow @appreciategold This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV