Staite was also impressed that Citigroup's estimated Basel III Tier 1 common equity ratio increased to 9.3% as of March 31 from 8.7% at the end of 2012.
In an interview on TheStreet, Jim Cramer said that "Citi has a tremendous advantage in that it's a worldwide bank. If the world economy comes back, Citi's the best chit."
Citigroup reported that its net interest margin (NIM) -- the difference between the yield on loans and investments and the average cost for deposits and borrowings -- widened to 2.94% during the first quarter, from 2.95% the previous quarter. While a one basis point improvement in the margin is quite small, it runs counter to the trend for the large banks that have reported their first-quarter results so far.
Wells Fargo (WFC) on Friday reported record earnings, but also said that its NIM narrowed to 3.48% in the first quarter from 3.56% in the fourth quarter. Staite on Monday said in a report that he expected Wells Fargo to show "further NIM pressure" beyond the second quarter. The analyst has a neutral rating on Wells Fargo, and wrote that "with revenue under pressure and with increasingly few cost levers to pull we expect EPS growth will stall during H2 2013 and in 2014."Wells Fargo's stock was down 2% to close at $36.57. JPMorgan Chase (JPM) also reported record earnings on Friday, but said that its deposit margin narrowed to 2.36% in the first quarter from 2.44% the previous quarter. JPMorgan's shares were also down 2% to close at $47.93. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV