LOUISVILLE, Ky., April 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Woodford Reserve®, the Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby®, adds a golden touch to the classic Kentucky Derby cocktail by unveiling the world's most exclusive mint julep cup. Celebrating the gold standard that Woodford Reserve has set by winning gold medals at every major spirits competition, the Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will feature 89 gold-highlighted julep cups, exclusive gold-influenced ingredients and a unique Golden Opportunity auction experience that puts the winning bidder in the Winner's Circle on Kentucky Derby Day. Proceeds will benefit Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Center.
In honor of the 89 th year that the Kentucky Derby winner has been awarded the gold trophy, there will be a total of 89 cups available for purchase online from April 15-May 2 at www.woodfordreservemintjulep.com. 79 Distinguished Cups available for $1,000 each feature a hand-engraved Thoroughbred and rider from atop the Kentucky Derby gold trophy and a gold-plated garland of roses. Available for auction with starting bids of $2,000, 9 Legendary Cups display a gold-plated Thoroughbred and rider medallion with brilliant cut diamonds. One Legendary Cup is also included in the Golden Opportunity auction experience package with an opening bid of $5,000. The winning bidder will present the trophy for the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic on Kentucky Derby Day and also enjoy a private tour and dinner at Woodford Reserve Distillery plus a private tour of Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Center with a Hall of Fame jockey.
Owners of the Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup will enjoy a mint julep featuring a unique set of gold-inspired ingredients: ice made of gold-filtered mineral water sourced from the easternmost reaches of Nova Scotia; mint leaves dusted with gold and grown in Woodford County, Ky.; Woodford Gold sorghum from Woodford County, Ky.; and gold medal-winning Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select bourbon. The 89 cups will be presented only on Kentucky Derby Day, May 4, 2013."Woodford Reserve is excited to be able to celebrate our gold standard with our horse racing fans by offering them a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," said Laura Petry, Woodford Reserve Brand Manager. "A product made in the heart of horse racing country, Woodford Reserve is the perfect complement to any horseracing event and is proud to support the Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Center through this year's $1,000 Mint Julep Cups and auction package." 2013 marks the eighth year of the program with more than $354,000 raised for equine and humanitarian causes. Fans are encouraged to follow Woodford Reserve online for exciting Kentucky Derby events and activities via Twitter at @woodfordreserve.Visit www.twitter.com/woodfordreserve for all the details. "We feel very grateful for the awareness that the Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup program brings to our center in support of our retired thoroughbreds," said Michael Blowen, Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Center President. "The horses of Old Friends are very lucky to receive the generosity of Woodford Reserve from this year's cup and auction sales." How to Purchase a CupStarting April 15, 2013 at noon ET, consumers age 21 years and older can log on to www.woodfordreservemintjulep.com to purchase one of the Distinguished Cups or place bids in the Legendary Cup and Golden Opportunity Auctions. Celebrating the 89 th year that the Kentucky Derby winner has received a gold trophy, a total of 89 cups are available for purchase or auction. Each cup is presented in a box made from the same American oak as Woodford Reserve barrels and is lined with a custom silk fabric designed by the Connecticut-based lifestyle brand vineyard vines®, the Official Style of the Kentucky Derby. Each customer will also receive a special gift courtesy of vineyard vines®; a custom tie or scarf made from the silk fabric used to line the box. Distinguished Cups79 Distinguished Cups are available for purchase online for $1,000 on a first come, first buy basis from April 15-May 2. These individually numbered cups are hand-engraved with the Thoroughbred and rider from atop the gold Kentucky Derby trophy along with the 2013 Kentucky Derby date and Woodford Reserve logo. The base is bordered with a gold-plated garland of roses and is accompanied by a gold-plated sipping straw. Any unsold cups will be available for purchase at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby Day. Legendary CupsIn addition to the 79 Distinguished Cups, there are 9 Legendary Cups for auction with starting bids of $2,000. The individually-numbered sterling silver cup features a gold-plated Thoroughbred and rider medallion hand-set with one-fifth carat of diamonds and is bordered with a gold-plated garland of roses. The cup is engraved with the 2013 Kentucky Derby date and the Woodford Reserve logo and is accompanied by a gold-plated sipping straw. Golden Opportunity Auction PackageThe Woodford Reserve Golden Opportunity package at a starting bid of $5,000 offers a priceless experience for the winning bidder. In addition to receiving Legendary Cup number 1, the highest bidder will:
- Present the trophy to the winner of the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic, the race before Kentucky Derby 139, that is one of America's most prestigious events on grass;
- Enjoy a private tour of Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Center in Woodford County with a Hall of Fame jockey;
- Join master distiller Chris Morris for a private tour of the Woodford Reserve Distillery; and
- Savor a private dinner at the distillery prepared by Woodford Reserve chef-in-residence Ouita Michel.
- Ice made of gold-filtered mineral water found beneath geological formations that are permeated with veins of gold and sourced from the easternmost reaches of Nova Scotia.
- Mint leaves dusted with gold and grown in Woodford County, Ky., near the Woodford Reserve Distillery.
- Woodford Gold sorghum from Woodford County, Ky., which is harvested near the distillery and adds a distinct richness to the classic julep recipe.
- Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select bourbon which has won a gold medal in every major spirits competition.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV