This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration. Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Two explosions at the end of the Boston Marathon have caused dozens of injuries and two fatalities. The explosions occurred near the finish line of the marathon.
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick said at a Monday evening press conference over 100 people had been injured in the blasts.
Boston Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis added in the conference that there are no suspects, contrary to some media reports. The
Federal Bureau of Investigations has taken over the investigation and will work with state and local authorities. A investigator for the FBI said at the press conference the explosions are a potential terrorist investigation.
Davis said earlier on Monday, simultaneous explosions occurred around 2:50 p.m. ET within 50 and 100 yards of each other, causing multiple casualties. Davis wouldn't confirm cite a number for casualties, but reports of the casualty count vary.
The Boston Police said on
Twitter that 2 people have died while 22 were injured. The
New York Postreported that 12 people have lost their lives.
The White House and President Barack Obama were notified of the tragedies, and Obama delivered a statement to the nation in the Brady Press Briefing Room shortly after 6 P.M.
"We don't yet have all the answers," Obama said during the statement. He took the time to thank and salute those who helped and aided in the aftermath of the crisis. "We salute all those who assisted and responded quickly and responsibly to this tragedy."
It's still unclear who did this, but Obama noted that the party(ies) involved would be met with swift action. "We will find out who did this. We will find out why they did this," Obama said. Any responsible groups "will feel the full weight of justice."
media reports the explosions are now being labeled an act of terror.
"Shortly after being notified of the incident around 3pm EDT, the President received a briefing from Homeland Security adviser Lisa Monaco and other members of his senior White House staff in the Oval Office," said a White House official, citing a pool report.
"The President called Boston Mayor Tom Menino and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick to express his concern for those who were injured and to make clear that his administration is ready to provide needed support as they respond to the incident."
Below are pictures of the explosions from the finish line via
Davis has confirmed a third incident occurred at JFK Library in Boston. He also confirmed a controlled explosion on Boylston Street in Boston. It is unclear at this time whether the events are related.
The Boston Police Twitter account later
said the third incident was fire related.
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick said that there is an active investigation in the blast area, which has been labeled a crime scene. Patrick said Boston would be open on Tuesday, however, he urged residents to be in a heightened state of vigilance.
"[The] City of Boston is opened, but it will not be business as usual," Patrick said on Monday evening, noting security measures and checks at metro stations.
New York increased its security following the Boston explosions. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, in a statement, said that "I have spoken with Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, and the NYPD has stepped up security at strategic locations and critical infrastructure, including our subways."
Bloomberg said the city has deployed Critical Response Vehicles and assigned 1,000 NYPD members to counter-terrorism duties. "[They] - along with the entire NYPD and the investments we have made in counter-terrorism infrastructure - are being fully mobilized to protect our city."
AT&T(T) put out a statement on Monday afternoon asking customers to use text messages for emergencies, and to keep non-emergency calls to a minimum.
"Our thoughts are with those affected by today's events at the Boston Marathon. As we coordinate with local officials, customers in the area may be experiencing issues with wireless voice and data service due to a spike of network activity and related congestion," said Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media Relations of AT&T Mobility, amid reports that wireless service had been shut down by government officials.
"We are working closely with local officials and we have set up a mobile calling center and phone charging station in the Sheraton Hotel. In addition, our Wi-Fi network, turned up for the Boston Marathon is now available to customers of all wireless carriers and will remain on for an extended period of time," Siegel added in a follow-up statement Monday evening.
Verizon Wireless, a joint venture between
Vodafone(VOD), said in a statement it was also enhancing its network to provide additional calling in the Copley Square area.
The Fairmont Copley Plaza hotel was impacted by the explosions, and only staff employees and guests are being allowed in at this time, said Lori Holland, Executive Director, Public Relations in an emailed statement to
TheStreet. "All hotel colleagues are safe and our thoughts are with those affected by this tragic incident."
Written by Chris Ciaccia, Joe Deaux and Antoine Gara in New York