Recovery? Americans Short On Cash Every Month
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- A troubling number of U.S. adults just can't seem to get over the financial hump these days -- to the point where more than one-third of Americans are battling to make ends meet each month.
According to fresh data from CashNetUSA, a Chicago online lender, the news gets worse when you dig deeper into the demographic story, with some financial consumers of a certain age faring much worse than others.
CashNet culled the numbers from a study of 1,000 U.S. adults surveyed in February.
In that survey, the firm says the 30- to 39-year-old demographic is feeling the most pressure financially, with 48% of respondents in that age group saying they "struggle to make ends meet."That compares with 37% of Americans facing similar financial pressures in all other age groups. In addition, parents with children under the ages of 18 -- no surprise here -- also say they are basically living paycheck to paycheck, with 41% of Americans surveyed expressing that sentiment.
"Too many Americans are still experiencing economic pain, and the tax deadline only exacerbates the cash flow squeeze on young families," says Megan Staton, director of marketing at CashNetUSA.com. "The continued weakness in the overall economy hasn't helped consumer spending habits."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV