Making Heads or Tails of Bitcoin
NEW YORK (Real Money) --The digital currency revolution is here -- maybe. The seemingly overnight rise of bitcoin has spread across the Internet faster than the Harlem Shake or videos of cats playing the piano. Unlike these fleeting Internet memes, bitcoin may herald a new era in currency exchange, though some may wonder if it is just a scam.
Nobody knows for sure who created bitcoin. It consists of a digital string of numbers and letters earned by bitcoin "miners" in cyberspace on peer-to-peer servers. Its circulation is limited to 21 million units by way of open-source code; if circulation increases beyond 21 million, everyone will know. It isn't regulated and it isn't associated with any country. Some would say that is a problem, while others would argue that that is the point.
So, is bitcoin a scam? Possibly, but there is no unequivocal proof. And even if proof of a scam should emerge, it will already be too late for holders to get out. Does bitcoin have value? That's for the market to decide. Bitcoin is accepted as payment at some locations, therefore, it has value -- at least for now. Its future value, if any, is unknown.
Legit or not, bitcoin has several serious drawbacks to consider:
- That 21-million-unit hard limit on circulation may sound fine, but bitcoin can be hacked and its parameters changed. You'd know about it, but that knowledge wouldn't prevent a loss. Even if bitcoin circulation remains within its current parameters, the potential supply of virtual currency is unlimited.
- Its creator or creators may decide they no longer wish to adhere to previously stated policies. They are bound by no law or regulation. Either way, you'd be out of luck.
- Bitcoin's biggest problem could be competition: If the concept proves successful, an unlimited number of knockoffs could appear. There is already a competing virtual currency called Ripple.
- Bolivian peso, 1985
- Nicaraguan cordoba, 1987
- Yugoslavian dinar, 1992
- Russian ruble, 1992
- Bosnian dinar, 1993
- Brazilian cruzeiro, 1994
- Zimbabwe dollar, 2008
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV