One of the other major findings of the survey is that Amazon (AMZN) is now the most popular retailer. It also found that when it comes to travel plans for the next 12 months, domestic travel is preferred over international destinations among the affluent.
"The reality of it is, Amazon sells a lot of luxury goods," Shullman explained. "You can buy a Cartier watch on Amazon. A lot of luxury brands are concerned about what Amazon is doing."
Of the top seven most popular stores identified in the survey, two are online - eBay (EBAY) and Amazon.
According to Shullman, that's because online stores offer convenience and cover a wide spectrum of categories."You can buy virtually anything from eBay and Amazon. And when you look at people with money, they have the devices and the opportunity to do it," he says. As for preferring domestic travel, the affluent are likely concerned about terrorism and the political unrest and uncertainty in many countries around the world right now, Shullman says. Shullman, who recently founded the Shullman Research Center, has been busy making the rounds with his survey, presenting it to luxury marketing councils in Chicago and New York City.
For the longtime luxury industry insider, few of the survey responses came as a surprise. What is clear, though, according to the survey, is that if you're a man under 35 with a household income of $250,000 or more, your outlook and attitudes toward the future are very positive. "My supposition is, if you're under 35 and living in $250,00-plus household -- things are pretty good" Shullman says. "Maybe it's that they haven't hit as many bumps in the road yet. Maybe it's naivete. But if you're making $250,000 a year and you'rw 30 years old, life is pretty good."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV