SAN DIEGO ( TheStreet) -- Some of the biggest worries about the future among the country's affluent are the price of gas, the impact of Obamacare and having enough money to retire comfortably, according to a recently released survey, Through the Looking Glass.
Conducted by Bob Shullman, former president of
Ipsos Mendelsohn and creator of the Mendelsohn Affluent Barometer, the survey was developed to capture luxury and affluent attitudes by income level, age and gender.
As it turns out, Shullman says the survey's major takeaway is that there is substantial variation in attitudes when looked at through those prisms.
Take for instance the way affluent men versus affluent women view their economic prospects for the future. The survey confirms that "men are from Mars and women are from Venus," Shullman says."Men are super optimistic and are gonna spend more, and women are concerned about the future," he explained. The survey, conducted online between Feb. 26 and March 6, groups respondents' answers into income brackets of $75,000-plus, $250,000-plus and $500,000-plus. Its questions cover such topics as top worries; plans for the next 12 months; shopping behaviors; impact of higher federal tax rates; and luxury shopping patterns. When it comes to tax increases, respondents across the board said higher rates have not affected spending plans for the next 12 months, nor have they changed charitable giving plans.
"The upper-income people are not happy with what's going on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV