CHRIS LAU, KAPITALL For the week ending April 12 2013, Jim Cramer covered 69 companies, of which he was bearish on 13 of them (or 19%). Since the companies that he was bullish on are up 11.9% from their 200 day moving average, there may be greater value in looking more closely at the companies getting “sell” calls. The companies are:
Unsurprisingly, a number of resource companies were on the bearish list. Valero Energy (VLO), a US refiner, peaked at $48.97 while SandRidge Trust (SDT) is down 50% from highs reached last year. Valero is spinning off CST Brands, a retail unit, through a distribution to its shareholders. CST Brands operates independent gas stations and convenience stores. The unit generates nearly $500 million in earnings for Valero.
[More Investing Ideas: Bullish Trinity: Insiders and Hedge Funds Love 4 Short Covered Stocks]Phillips 66 (PSX) was another bearish Cramer call. Shares are up nearly 15% in 2013 and are up 33.5% over the last 6 months even with the most recent sell-off. Despite the bearish call, the refiner was cited by Oppenheimer as a buying opportunity. In the retail sector, JC Penny (JCP) is at a share price that is over 50% off levels from 2012. The company scored a minor victory against Macy’s (M) recently. J.C. Penny will be allowed to sell Martha Stewart (MSO) products under the “Everyday” label. Liquidity is becoming a concern for the company. The company hired Blackstone (BX) to look for ways to raise its cash. J.C. Penny needs to raise $1 billion, to alleviate worries for suppliers. Last week, the company removed former Apple executive Ron Johnson from the CEO position. 3 former Apple executives that Johnson hired also left J.C. Penny. This includes the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Talent Officer, and Chief Creative Officer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV