These new commitments reinforce the sustainability goals Walmart established in 2005: to be supplied 100 percent by renewable energy; to create zero waste; and to sell products that sustain people and the environment. Renewables and energy efficiency have long been part of Walmart's strategy to operate at every day low cost while also allowing Walmart to be a good steward of the environment.
Since 2005, Walmart has been innovating in renewable energy and increasing energy efficiency. Walmart's buildings are currently powered by 1.1 billion kWh of Walmart-driven renewable energy – enough for a U.S. city of 250,000 people. Added to the renewable energy the company receives from the grid, today, 21 percent of its buildings' total electricity and 17 percent of buildings' total energy use is currently supplied by renewable energy.
To learn more about sustainability at Walmart and to watch a replay of today's Walmart Global Sustainability Meeting, visit Walmart's sustainability blog, The Green Room.
About Walmart Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 200 million customers and members visit our 10,500 stores under 69 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2013 sales of approximately $466 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartgreen. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.SOURCE Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV