CULVER CITY, Calif., April 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Pictures Entertainment announced today that it is teaming with both Barco and Dolby Laboratories, Inc. to mix Elysium, the highly anticipated second feature film from writer-director Neill Blomkamp, in both the Auro 11.1 system and the Dolby® Atmos™ system, which deliver a more natural and realistic soundtrack that moves sound around and above audiences. Elysium, from TriStar Pictures in association with Media Rights Capital, will be the first Sony Pictures Entertainment title to be mixed in these state-of-the-art formats. Elysium is set for release in theaters nationwide on August 9, 2013.
Commenting on the announcement, Rory Bruer, president of Worldwide Distribution for Sony Pictures, said, "We're thrilled to be working with both Barco and Dolby to explore and support their technologies as we incorporate them into Elysium. These new, immersive, breakthrough audio technologies, combined with other state-of-the-art enhancements, are rapidly perfecting the theatrical experience for moviegoers."
Craig Berkey and Chris Scarabosio will be creating both the Auro 11.1 and Dolby Atmos mixes. Commenting on the announcement, they said, "Barco and Dolby are breaking new ground in creating an aural experience for moviegoers. Each of these technologies enables us to further sonically immerse the audience as we are able to more accurately pan elements to enhance the detail of our mixes."
Auro 11.1 by Barco is designed along three layers of sound (Traditional Surround sound, with Height, and Overhead layers). Thanks to this layered approach, the technology not only enables sound mixers to move objects around in space, it also allows them to reproduce the immersive aspects of a film soundtrack in a more natural way.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV