Shares of Citigroup have rallied 30% since Corbat was named CEO in October.
Finally, Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO)is set to buy Life Technologies (LIFE) for $13.6 billion in the latest of a series of acquisitions.
Thermo Fisher, which makes lab equipment, said it would pay $76 a share for diagnostics equipment maker Life Technologies. It also said it would assume the company's debt, which was about $2.2 billion at the end of 2012. It is Thermo Fisher's largest acquisition to date and also one of the biggest corporate acquisitions in the U.S. so far this year.
The deal will give Thermo Fisher entry into the genetic sequencing field. In a statement, Thermo Fisher CEO Marc Casper said, "The acquisition of Life Technologies enhances all three elements of our growth strategy: technological innovation, a unique customer value proposition and expansion in emerging markets."The deal is expected to close in early 2014. Thermo Fisher has been acquiring laboratory and diagnostics equipment makers since the company was formed in 2006 through the merger of Thermo Electron Corp. and Fisher Scientific International Inc.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV