COPENHAGEN, Denmark , April 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Siemens Smart Grid Division and Teradata (NYSE: TDC) today announce a global strategic cooperation in the field of big data. Through this collaboration Siemens Smart Grid further optimizes its portfolio of solutions which will provide energy utilities with a much higher level of transparency on the status and activities in their networks. This will enable the customers of Siemens Smart Grid to improve reliability of their infrastructure and to run their grids more efficiently in an increasingly cost-sensitive environment.
"Based on the broadest smart grid technology portfolio and our leading position in energy automation and meter data management, we know which data are key to an optimized operation of networks. Combined with Teradata's expertise in analytic data solutions, we can provide our customers with relevant and valuable information allowing them to make faster and significantly more informed decisions," said Dr. Jan Mrosik, CEO of Siemens' Smart Grid Division.Teradata's Unified Data Architecture™ (UDA) is a secure and cost-effective framework for smarter data management, processing, and analytics that enables utilities to exploit all their big data – as huge quantities of data are called today. Data of this scale are generated when utilities operate infrastructure which the Siemens Smart Grid Division has upgraded from traditional networks to smart grids, with enhanced automation, new sensor technology, communication systems, and software applications. A good example are Smart Meter: 1,000,000 of these devices alone can produce a data volume of up to several petabyte a year. According to IMS Research today there are 178 mln smart meters for energy installed, until 2016 this number is expected to rise to 343 mln.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV