Diamond Market Update (April 11, 2013)
At the end of March, a rally was reported in the secondary rough diamond market. It was driven by expectations that De Beers will raise its prices and reduce its sales volume. That price hike occurred to the tune of about 3 percent and up to 8 percent in some cases, according to a Professional Jeweller article. ALROSA also reportedly hiked its prices by about 3.5 percent.
Polished prices have been firm over the past several weeks and trading volumes have been good. Some traders have reportedly been attempting to boost prices for some of the more scarce goods, but their efforts have been met with resistance.
Rapaport reported that "that diamonds between 0.30ct and 0.40ct, G to K colour, VS2 to SI2 were 'hot' in March, with prices for these smaller stones continuing to outpace other stone categories," the Professional Jeweller article notes. Further, "VS to SI goods through to two carats in size, with triple EX certified stones, are in strong demand and short supply."
However, Rapaport has warned that rough prices are not sustainable at the current level of polished prices.Diamond Market Update (April 11, 2013) from Diamond Investing News
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV