Why Brad Paisley Is Right About the Confederate Flag
Why retell Lee's story today? Because that story makes it clear that the history of the Confederacy is a mixed history, not entirely a racist history, but rather full of good and bad just like any other history. Like our country's history. Like the history of any religion.
This brings us to Brad Paisley's song "Accidental Racist," which has generated controversy based on the false assumption that the Confederate flag stands only for hate. The prevalence of this assumption means only that a contemptible minority has succeeded in smothering much of the reality of Confederate history.
In the "Accidental Racist" video, Paisley wears a tee-shirt with a Confederate flag and contemplates the ambiguity the flag embodies. "I'm proud of where I'm from but not everything we've done," he sings. "Our generation didn't start this nation, and we're still paying for mistakes that a bunch of folks made long before we came.
That generation, he said, is "caught between southern pride and southern blame."An unyielding condemnation of the Confederate flag speaks to an intellectually lazy decision to ignore whatever we reflexively abhor. As our country moves to being post-racial, we ought to take the opposite course, which is to seek to understand all of our history, not just the portions we find convenient and comfortable. In this endeavor, Paisley makes a very significant contribution. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV