The price could end up being as high as $13 billion, which would make it one of this year's largest corporate takeovers, The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday, citing a source familiar with the negotiations.
Waltham, Mass.-based Thermo Fisher is expected to pay about $75 a share for Life Technologies, which makes genetic testing equipment, the Journal reported.
Shares of Carlsbad, Calif.-based Life Technologies closed Friday at $68.00.The two sides were in exclusive discussions Sunday afternoon, and an agreement could be reached as early as Sunday, the Journal also reported. Shares of Thermo Fisher closed Friday down 32 cents at $79.59.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV