SIL only goes back to its inception around June of 2010, less than three years ago, and we're currently down to an intraday low of $16.15, a price we haven't seen since the summer of 2010. How does one explain this and does Goldman Sachs really have something to do with all this? I like how Jim Cramer sometimes calls them "Golden Slacks."
All I know is that the precious metals stocks sector's bullish percent index hit "zero" on Friday when Royal Gold (RGLD) plummeted more than 4%, to $60.62. Let's look at RGLD's price chart below. It's not suffered as much as others in the sector because it's a royalty-streaming company that, as you can see, has done very well when it comes to its quarterly revenue-per-share growth.
I'm no precious-metals sector expert, but to the best of my knowledge, the last time the gold stock sector's bullish percent index hit zero was in October 2008 and the United States and most of the world was melting down in the worst financial crisis in over 70 years.
The wacky world of gold, silver and the mining stocks became a little weirder this week. One of my old mentors Bill Bonner recently was quoted as saying, "The time to buy gold stocks is when nobody wants to buy them...when even you don't want to buy them," Well Bill, we're finally there! DISCLOSURE: As of the time of publication the author is long GDX and RGLD but does not own any other stock or ETF mentioned in this article. Make smarter trading decisions and provide investment ideas that could help make you richer. Bryan Ashenberg does the dirty work so you don't have to! Follow @m8a2r1
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV