New CQC Report Highlights "Lack Of Understanding" Of Liberty Safeguards And Mental Capacity Act
The report also found that over the last three years there has been a consistent and 'significant' regional variation among care homes and hospitals in the way the safeguards are used. It determined that it was unclear as to whether people's views and experiences of the safeguards were being heard in care homes and hospitals, and also that the implications of the DoLS safeguards in practice were not easy to understand.
"Only recently I represented a woman who was kept against her will in a home for people with advanced dementia," said Mr McGhee. "In that case the safeguards were simply not followed, and as such she was in her own words effectively 'held prisoner' by the local authority. If the people in charge had listened to her, to her family or any of her advocates - as the MCA requires - then her ordeal almost certainly would have been avoided."
The report concludes that the highest priority for health and social care services operating in the safeguards system is 'to improve understanding and practice of the MCA.'
"Whilst I agree with the report's findings that this is a priority, it begs the question as to why it has taken more than three years to identify a lack of understanding within some local authorities," said Mr McGhee. "It would seem from this report that some vulnerable individuals may be subject to human rights violations by professionals who really, three years on, should know better. If so, such a lack of understanding is shocking, morally repugnant and a matter of very serious legal concern which requires an immediate response."Mark McGhee will be discussing the CQC's report on BBC Radio 5 Live Investigates on Sunday, 7 April from 11am. Search: Fentons Personal Injury Solicitors SOURCE Fentons
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV