Titanic 101 Anniversary Marked By Rising Tide Of Modern Marine Incidents
"Although cruise ship incidents grab headlines, it is important to note that on a weekly basis there are collisions, groundings, fires and other serious occurrences in waters off-the-coasts of mostly undeveloped nations," says Bethel. "They may not be interesting to Americans but they are of great concern to professional mariners because these ships are aging and their crews are often undertrained."
NAVIGATION INCIDENTS & MECHANICAL MALFUNCTIONS
The majority of nautical collisions and ships that ran aground are the results of human error, often exacerbated by fatigue and/or inadequate navigational training.
Many mechanical mishaps were consequences of poor or insufficient maintenance and the inability to perform underway repairs by marine engineers and engine room crews.AMO WANTS YOU! NOW RECRUITING ENGINEERING OFFICER CANDIDATES Passenger, cargo, and tanker lines are faced with a shortage of engineers, worldwide. In an effort to solve the global shortage of maritime engineering officers, AMO is devising a campaign to recruit qualified U.S. high school graduates – educate, train and place them in high-paying, prestigious positions on merchant marine vessels worldwide. The starting pay for an engineering officer is $100,000, annually. ADVANCED MARITIME TRAINING AVAILABLE "To reduce the incidences of human error, AMO's Simulation, Training, Assessment & Research (STAR) Center provides educational and certification programs that improve command communications, emergency response, engineering and navigational skills," says retired U.S. Navy Captain Philip Shullo, AMO's Director of STAR Center Safety and Education Training. AMO STAR CENTER, DANIA BEACH FLORIDA: WORLD'S PREEMINENT MARITIME TRAINING CENTER
- Dynamic Positioning
- Liquid Natural Gas Transport
- 79 U S Coast Guard & International Maritime Organization Training Certification Courses
- Trained 100,000 Merchant Mariners & Employees of 52 Shipping Lines
- Full Mission Class A Command Bridge Navigation Simulator
- Employs Array of Vivid Video Projectors
- Creates 360-Degree High-Tech Animated Views of Oceans, Harbors, Shipping Lanes
- Shullo explains, "Unlike aircraft cockpit simulators that provide both visual and physical steering, elevation and descending movements, the actual maritime command bridge remains stationary. Yet, the 360-degree moving, high-tech animated images of waves, passing ships and land masses are so realistic they induce sea sickness."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV