Feds: $5.5M From GM For Pollution In Onondaga Lake
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Federal authorities say they've settled the last piece of claims against General Motors Co. for pollution in central New York's Onondaga Lake.
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara says the $5.5 million agreement was reached this week in U.S. Bankruptcy Court with the trust handling the affairs of the automotive company, which filed for Chapter 11 protection in 2009.
The settlement adds to $39.2 million the trust agreed to pay the Environmental Protection Agency to help clean up PCBs and other pollutants discharged into the lake.
A $451 million project to dredge contaminated settlement from the Superfund site is in its second year.Decades of waste dumping by industries surrounding the lake poured mercury and other metals along with solvents and PCBs into the water.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV