ISELIN, N.J., April 12, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Middlesex Water Company (Nasdaq:MSEX) has announced that a $4.0 million project to clean and line water mains and replace valves, fire hydrants and water service lines has begun in South Amboy, NJ as part of its annual RENEW program. The Company also plans to upsize some smaller mains, as needed, to increase pressure and flows in the area.
The Company plans to clean and line a total of 11,500 linear feet of 6-inch and 8-inch water main. The project also includes replacing approximately 9,000 linear feet of 4-inch water main with a new 8-inch water main. Middlesex Water upgraded a portion of the City of South Amboy in 2011 and this work is a continuation of a planned upgrade to the City's water distribution system. The area selected for this investment includes water mains in the area roughly bounded by Augusta Street, Pupek Road, North Feltus and Lower Main Street in South Amboy. Work has already begun on the replacement of the 4-inch main. The overall project is expected to be completed by the fall. Individual streets in the project area are expected to be affected for a period of 2-3 months.
"Aging water and wastewater infrastructure is an issue across the country with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency placing the cost of repairing, replacing and upgrading the nation's water and wastewater infrastructure at more than $600 billion over the next 20 years. Middlesex Water is doing its part locally to maintain service reliability by annually upgrading portions of its 730-mile system," said Richard M. Risoldi, Middlesex Water Chief Operating Officer. "We plan to replace some 475 water service lines along with 31 hydrant assemblies in our 2013 RENEW effort. This translates into less lost water through leaks for our system, and enhanced water quality and pressures for our customers," added Risoldi.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV