Deswell Industries (NASDAQ: DSWL) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.50%. Deswell Industries, Inc. engages in the manufacture and sale of injection-molded plastic parts and components, electronic products and subassemblies, and metallic molds and accessory parts for original equipment manufacturers and contract manufacturers. The average volume for Deswell Industries has been 14,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Deswell Industries has a market cap of $44.0 million and is part of the consumer non-durables industry. Shares are up 11.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Deswell Industries as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- DSWL has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 5.04, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 74.53% to $5.61 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DESWELL INDUSTRIES INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -1.85%.
- DESWELL INDUSTRIES INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DESWELL INDUSTRIES INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.09 versus -$0.50 in the prior year.
- The gross profit margin for DESWELL INDUSTRIES INC is rather low; currently it is at 19.40%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.60% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 342.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.09 million to -$0.22 million.
- You can view the full Deswell Industries Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts