United's fuel savings initiatives are part of the company's larger commitment to environmental sustainability under its Eco-Skies program.
United has a genuine commitment to responsible actions that reduce its impact on the environment through its Eco-Skies program. Eco-Skies is designed to make a positive impact on the environment – in the air, on the ground, at United's facilities, with its business partners and across communities the airline serves.
Highlights of United's Eco-Skies program include:
- United operated the first U.S. passenger biofuel flight powered with a mixture of renewable algae-derived jet fuel and conventional jet fuel, and signed letters of intent to negotiate the purchase of more than 50 million gallons of sustainable biofuels.
- United launched the Eco-Grants initiative which provides $50,000 cash grants to 10 local environmental organizations that the airline's employees volunteer with in their communities, with volunteer projects starting this month and taking place throughout the country.
- United spearheaded the Midwest Aviation Sustainable Biofuels Initiative (MASBI), in partnership with Boeing, Honeywell's UOP, the Chicago Department of Aviation and the Clean Energy Trust, to advance commercialization of cost-competitive aviation biofuels.
- More than 24% percent of United's ground equipment fleet is electric or alternatively fueled.
- During the last six years, United recycled more than 20 million pounds of cans, paper and plastic items from waste generated inflight and at its facilities resulting in a net reduction of 28,700 metric tons of carbon emissions – or an equivalent of removing over 5,000 cars from the road over that same time period.
- Eco-Teams, comprised of cross-divisional representatives, are at every hub and major facility.
- United's enhanced carbon offset program allows its customers to calculate and offset the carbon footprint associated with their air travel and cargo shipments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV