Young People's Experiences In The Co-op Housing Program
Key recommendations include:
- Youth need to be actively listened to for their insights.
- Youth need time and a safe space to explore who they are and what matters to them, with youth who have lived chaotic or traumatic lives likely needing more time than others.
- Services are needed to breach the gap from state care/childhood to independence.
- Listen for depth, not just numbers: Funders in Canada want numbers; they want proof that programs are working, but quantity doesn't always indicate success.
- Funders often offer grants on one- or three-year terms. This is not enough time to show progress. It will be important to educate funders about the long-term impacts of programs such as the Co-op Housing Program.
- Youth need to recognize their successes and how impressive they are. Focusing on continued improvement is important but so is realizing how much they have achieved and the hurdles they've overcome.
Aviva Canada is part of Aviva plc., a global insurer with over 31,000 employees serving 34 million customers. Aviva supports Street to School (S2S) programs through more than 20 charity partnerships around the world. Street to School is about championing the needs of street children and recognizing that every child living on, working on or connected to the street has the right to fulfill their potential.
Aviva and its partners chose a developmental evaluation and participatory assessment approach to find out from children and youth how well the S2S programs are doing, and if and how they could be more effective. View the full PASSPORT 2012 report on Youthlink's Co-op Housing Program.
About Aviva Canada Aviva Canada is one of the leading Property and Casualty insurance groups in Canada providing home, automobile, recreational vehicle, group and business insurance to more than three million customers. A wholly-owned subsidiary of UK-based Aviva plc, the company has more than 3,000 employees, 25 locations and 1,700 independent broker partners. Aviva Canada and its employees invest in positive change including through the Aviva Community Fund and Eva's Initiatives, its signature partner in Aviva's global Street to School program to help homeless and other at-risk youth reach their potential.For more information visit AvivaCanada.com, our blog or our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn pages. SOURCE Aviva Canada Inc.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts