IIROC To Support Clients Whose Personal Information Was On A Lost Portable Device
Safety and security of information top priority
TORONTO, April 11, 2013 /CNW/ - The Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) deeply regrets the accidental loss of a portable device that contained personal information relating to clients of a number of investment firms. IIROC has taken several measures to notify the firms and their clients and to provide them with support services.
As soon as IIROC learned of the loss, it conducted an internal investigation and retained an independent third-party security expert in forensics to determine what information was contained on the device.
While there has been no indication of third parties attempting to access the information to date, IIROC:
- Has communicated with the relevant investment firms whose client information was on the device;
- Is writing to those firms' clients and providing a comprehensive checklist that includes additional steps clients can take to protect personal information;
- Set up a dedicated call center, starting Monday, April 15, which will be available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday, to help answer client questions and concerns and, if needed, to walk them through the support materials provided; and
- Arranged, at no cost to clients, a six-year alert flag to be placed on their credit files through Equifax Canada.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts