Waddington's To Offer Important Collection Of Inuit Graphics In Spring Auction
TORONTO, April 11, 2013 /CNW/ - Waddington's announced today it will be offering a rare and important collection of Inuit graphics in its Spring Inuit Art Auction. The collection is comprised of the Complete 1959 Cape Dorset Graphic Collection.
1959 represents the first time the Inuit people had publicly offered graphic art for sale and this collection is perhaps the only complete set in existence. This collection was most recently celebrated in the exhibition 'Uuturautilt: Cape Dorset Celebrates 50 Years of Printmaking' , at Canada's National Gallery in 2009.
Duncan McLean, President of Waddington's commented that, "There are times in the history of art that unique conditions converge to create extraordinary expressions of genius. People who had recently been nomadic hunters with exquisite powers of observation created an art form that opened a window to the wonder of the Inuit people and their land. This collection represents one of the most nationally important movements in the history of Canadian art."
Artists included in the collection include: the iconic Kenojuak Ashevak, Tudlik, Osuitok Ipeelee, Kellypalik Mangitak, Niviaxie, Kananginak Pootoogook and Josephie Pootoogook, Lukta Qiatsuk, Kunu and Iyola Kingwatsiak.The 1959 Cape Dorset Graphic Collection carries a pre-auction estimate of $400,000/450,000 and will be offered Monday, May 6, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. Founded in 1850, Waddington's is Canada's leading auction house and has been conducting auctions of Inuit Art since 1978. Waddington's Inuit Art specialists are considered world authorities on the subject. Previews for the collection and the entire spring Inuit auction will be held at Waddington's galleries located at 275 King Street East, Toronto on Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. SOURCE Waddingtons.ca
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV